The riverfront at Agra once formed one of the great sights of Mughal India. As well as the fort and the Taj Mahal, both banks of the River Yamuna were lined with great mansions, palatial garden houses and imperial gardens. When the Mughal capital was moved the Delhi in 1648, the city decayed and it was repeatedly sacked in the course of the eighteenth century. A panoramic scroll over seven metres in length recently acquired by the British Library shows the buildings and gardens on each side of the River Yamuna at Agra as it appeared about 1830. The authors analyse the scroll in detail for its evidence in putting together the complex topographic history of the city.
|File name||Date Uploaded||Visibility||File size|