The British Library possesses eleven or twelve thousand books seized from German libraries and institutions between June 1944, when Anglo-American forces invaded western Europe, and 1947. Nearly half the confiscated books came from a single library, that of the German Army's Kriegsschule (known in the British Library as the Hanover Military Library) and were offered to the British Museum, the institution of which the present British Library was then a part, by Brigadier H. B. Latham on behalf of the Joint Intelligence Committee of the Cabinet and the Minister of Defence in July 1946. The books are largely dispersed throughout the BL collections. This article identifies books in the BL seized at the end of the War and which still bear the signs of ownership of German institutions.
|File name||Date Uploaded||Visibility||File size|